The holidays are almost here and I officially have my first Christmas tree up. Yes, I do. I plan on having five of them this year. Call it my intense holiday euphoria of being back home in Delaware and my blissful anticipation of celebrating with family and friends up here in over twenty years. Or call it holiday dementia. Either way, I am so excited and the holiday food train is pulling into the station!
The Sunday Supper Tastemakers are celebrating holiday side dishes this week (and next week is desserts!), so make sure you join the #SundaySupper twitter chat this evening at 7pm eastern. Did you remember to turn your clocks back? We will be sharing recipes all day (see the mouthwatering list below). Big thanks to Caroline from Caroline’s Cooking for leading the holiday side dish event this week!
Now, I love turkey and ham and holiday roast beast, but my real love comes with the side dishes. I like to try a few new ones each year and this Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Kale Walnut Pesto is a keeper. The inspiration came from Food Network’s Thanksgiving magazine and I added one of my own favorite pestos and the rainbow carrots.
The slightly peppery pesto offsets the sweet roasted carrots and parsnips to perfection. Bonus? It all comes together in 25 minutes! When you are making a big meal with lots of side dishes, the ease of this dish is a gift; it is easy to reheat and makes a gorgeous presentation.
Wishing you a delicious holiday season full of joyous gatherings with family and friends!
Tell me … what is your favorite holiday side dish?
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 3 pounds of rainbow carrots and parsnips
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of Grapeseed oil (or olive oil or coconut oil)
- 1 cup of kale (I used baby kale)
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup of shredded Romano cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of Olive Oil
Preheat over to 400F. Peel and trim the carrot and parsnips. Cut in half (or in thirds or quarters for the parsnips) and toss in grapeseed oil (or olive oil). Lay out on a baking sheet. When the oven is ready, roast them for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
While the carrots and parsnips are roasting, make the pesto. Combine the kale, walnuts, Romano cheese, and garlic in food processor/chopper. Pulse the ingredients until they are married and look crumbly. Begin adding olive oil a bit at a time until your pesto reaches your desired consistency. I did not make this pesto very smooth.
When the carrots and parsnips are done roasting, toss them in the pesto and arrange on a serving platter. Sprinkle remaining pesto over top to serve. Eat warm and ENJOY!
Fruity Side Dishes
- Cranberry Apple Relish by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cranberry Fluff Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy Cheesy Pineapple Bake by This is How I Cook
- Pecan Cranberry Jello Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Apples by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Other Side Dishes
- Chestnut Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Easy Mushroom Rice Pilaf by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- One Pot Macaroni and Cheese by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Potato Dinner Rolls by The Redhead Baker
- Sausage, Apple, and Cranberry Stuffing by Life Tastes Good
Potato Side Dishes
- Gingered Sweet Potatoes by Simple and Savory
- Marmalade Glazed Sweet Potatoes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Sour Cream and Chive Mashed Potatoes by Cookin’ Mimi
- Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Red Potatoes by Food Done Light
- Southern Praline Sweet Potato Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Southwestern Potato Bake by The Freshman Cook
- Stacked Sweet Potatoes by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter by Cooking Chat
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Vegetable Side Dishes
- Acorn Squash and Brussel Sprout Side Dish by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Balsamic-Roasted Brussels Sprouts by The Crumby Cupcake
- Braised Red Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Bake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candied Acorn Squash by Cricket’s Confections
- Cheesy Jalapeño Corn Casserole by Food Lust People Love
- German Green Bean Salad (Bohnensalat) by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole by Family Around The Table
- Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole by My Life Cookbook
- Miso Glazed Corn by NinjaBaker.com
- Pan Roasted Carrots with Apple Molasses by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pine Nuts and Cranberries by The Chef Next Door
- Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Walnut Pesto by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Onions with Parsley Pesto by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Parsnips with Balsamic Vinegar and Rosemary by Wholistic Woman
- Roasted Pumpkin with Rosemary and Thyme by Feeding Big
- Spicy Balsamic Roasted Vegetables by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Corn Pudding by Brunch-n-Bites
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.