Pumpkins … gourds … and SQUASH! Autumn eating is here and just in time for October 1st – World Vegetarian Day! Actually, the whole month of October is Vegetarian Awareness Month and vegetarian recipes are the feature for Sunday Supper this week. Our Sunday Supper Tastemakers have got you covered with tons of veggielicious recipes and Susan from The Wimpy Vegetarian is hostessing this veggie-full Sunday Supper.
The markets here are flooded with gorgeous squash of every kind and when I spotted my absolute faves, the delicata squash, I did a Hungry Goddess Happy Dance right in front of the bins. These delectable winter squash popped on my radar a few years ago, and have become a seasonal addition. The rind is edible and when roasted, the flesh is sweet and creamy. Like butternut, but even better.
I don’t get fancy with delicata squash. I go straight for the roasting pan and make roasted delicata fries and then pair it with a quickie sriracha aioli. Sweet squash and a dip with a bite? Absolute heaven and the entire plate was gone in less than five minutes. Second favorite way? Toss the lovely roasted half moons into a chopped kale salad with pomegranates!
Use the roasted delicata squash fries for a snack or as an appetizer – they might even stand up to a quick toss in buffalo sauce and a dip into blue cheese for football! (And now I think I have to try it!) A whole tray takes about 20 – 30 minutes depending on your preferred level of doneness.
Although I am an omnivore, I love plant-based eating and I love creating delicious vegetarian recipes. Stay tuned for some great seasonal veggie recipes coming and definitely check out the list below for some meatless inspiration!
Happy World Vegetarian Day and Happy Almost October!
- Delicata Squash (1 squash makes enough for two)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil (or Coconut Oil)
- Salt and Pepper
- Mayonnaise or Vegenaise
Heat oven to 400F. Seed and cut Delicata Squash into half moon shapes. Lightly toss pieces in olive oil. Spread on baking pan, sprinkle with salt, and roast until brown on each side. First side took about 15 minutes and second side took about 10 minutes. Roast to your preferred level of browning.
Mix the mayo and Sriracha to your preferred level of spice. Serve and Enjoy!
- Citrus Marinated Olives by Cricket’s Confections
- Goat Cheese and Red Onion Quesadilla by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Green Tomato and Mozzarella Salad by Monica’s Table
- Italian Lupini Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- Orange Ginger Carrot Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Orange Beet Cake by Baking Sense
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Make Your Children Eat Their Vegetables…in a Cupcake! by The Ninja Baker
- Zucchini Blueberry Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Butternut Squash Zoodles with Fried Sage Sauce by Home Sweet Homestead
- Caprese Stuffed Roasted Eggplant by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Cauliflower Cake by Food Lust People Love
- Chipotle Tofu Tacos with Plantain by Caroline’s Cooking
- Glazed Carrot and Quinoa Salad with Crispy Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Green Goddess Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mujaddara by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Pumpkin Gnocchi and Spinach with Sage Brown Butter Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Radical Reuben Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Delicata Squash with Sriracha Aioli by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Vegetable Casserole by A Mind “Full”Mom
- Spicy Tofu and Rice Stir Fry by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Soba Noodle Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Spinach by Cooking Chat
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Veggie Riggies: A Rigatoni Sauté by Hardly A Goddess
- Caramelized Onions and Cauliflower by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh with Chickpeas by Simple and Savory
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Rice by My Life Cookbook
- Locro de Papa (Ecuadorian Potato Soup) by Curious Cuisiniere
- South African Yellow Rice by What Smells So Good?
- Spiralized Sweet Potato and Apple Sauté with Dates by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Turmeric Hummus Casserole by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.