One of the ways that we know Fall is on the way is the start of football season. I am especially excited this year because I get the full Autumn experience now that I am back in the northeast – pumpkins, changing leaves, cool weather, and football. And let’s not forget my personal favorite part of game day … the food!
Loaded smashed potatoes are a super easy way to celebrate game day, serve a few or a crowd, and have some fun with toppings. We are eating the whole potato for this recipe, not just the skin, and adorning them with all the delicious that you can bring.
Crispy bottoms, roasted potatoes, melted cheese, and toppings are the perfect finger food to pair with a craft beer and foam finger. I chose a few different cheeses and toppings just so I could
eat them demonstrate a few choices. Queso fresco on potatoes is d i v i n e and melts beautifully!
Of course, who can resist bacon?
The fresh chives really make this cheddar and sour cream smashed potato a huge favorite!
Sunday Supper this week has recipes that will cover you for the whole season and beyond. Coleen of The Redhead Baker is the Hostess with the Mostest and you are invited to join all of the Sunday Supper tastemakers for our football food focused twitter chat at 7pm eastern tonight on the #sundaysupper hashtag!
I am back in Philadelphia Eagles country so I will be going green this year.
Tell me, who are you rooting for and (most importantly) what are you eating on game day?
- Your Favorite Whole Small Potatoes – White, Gold, or Red
- Olive Oil for the pan and to brush on the smashed potatoes (approximately 3 tablespoons per 24 potatoes)
- Sea Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Thyme and other herbs to taste
- Toppings of your choice
- Included on my loaded smashed potatoes:
- thyme, cheddar, sour cream, chopped fresh chives
- blue cheese and bacon bits
- queso fresco cheese, black beans, quartered grape tomatoes, yellow corn, chopped cilantro
Place potatoes in large pot of salted water and cook until they are tender when stuck with a fork.
Once potatoes are fork tender, lightly drizzle olive oil on a baking sheet. Place potatoes on the baking sheet with enough room to smash them flat. 12 smashed potatoes per sheet works best.
Use a potato masher to gently “smash” each potato. (I say gently because if you smash too hard, the potatoes get stuck in the masher). Brush the top of each smashed potato lightly with olive oil.
Sprinkle potatoes with sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and herbs of your choice.
Bake at 450 degrees for approximately 25 minutes until golden brown.
To add cheeses, I took them out as soon as they were golden and added the different cheeses and put back in the oven until melted – about two to three minutes.
Garnish warm potatoes with other toppings and serve immediately! Enjoy!
- Atomic Buffalo Turds by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Avocado Corn Salad by Books ‘n Cooks
- Bacon-wrapped Shrimp Jalapeño Poppers by Food Lust People Love
- BLT Bites by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs by Highlands Ranch Foodie
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos with Cilantro Crème by Cooking with Carlee
- Chipotle Lime Chicken Fajita Sliders by Flavor Mosaic
- Cucumber Shrimp Cups by Sunday Supper Movement
- Game Day Burger Sliders by Dessert Geek
- Gyro Meatballs & Herbed Yogurt Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Ham and Salami Rollups by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Healthier Patatas Bravas by Caroline’s Cooking
- Kale Pesto Dip by Cooking Chat
- Lemony Chicken Wings by Basic N Delicious
- Liptauer (Hungarian Cheese Spread) by Curious Cuisinere
- Loaded Guacamole by Casa de Crews
- Loaded Smashed Potatoes by The Hungry Goddess
- Mexican Spinach Dip by Meal Planning Magic
- Nachodillas with Jalapeno Bean Dip by Palatable Pastime
- No-Bake Almond Energy Bites by Pies and Plots
- PB&J Wings by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pork Belly Sliders by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Queso Blanco Dip by Life Tastes Good
- Roasted Jalapeno and Chorizo Queso by The Texan New Yorker
- Sausage Pizza Dip from Family Foodie
- Ultimate Taco Dip by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Swiss Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Black Bean Chili by Cricket’s Confections
- Blackberry Sriracha BBQ Wings by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Honey Lime BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Mexican Pizza by Chef Next Door
- Oven-Fried Chicken Tenders by Food Done Light
- Oven-Fried Fish Sliders by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders by The Redhead Baker
- White Chicken Chili by Powered by BLING
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Salad by Crazed Mom
- 5-Ingredient Buckeye Dip by A Mind Full Mom
- Brownie Bomb Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Football Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Miso Salted Caramel Ice Cream Sandwiches by Ninja Baker
- Touchdown Popcorn Toffee Bark by The Weekend Gourmet
- White Chocolate Toffee Chunk Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.