The Sunday Supper Tastemakers are putting our skillets to use this week to come up with easy, one skillet recipes that are especially helpful for back to school time. I am out of the back to school round with my kiddo, but I love any opportunity to use my skillets. Three cheers for our Hostess, Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake, a gorgeous blog with droolworthy recipes!
The Huevos Rancheros skillet is on the table in about 30 minutes – perfect for the early birds who like to cook in the morning and the breakfast for dinner crowd. In making this recipe the first time, I used canned diced tomatoes and was not happy with the results that had way too much liquid. I refined the recipe by using chopped grape and heirloom tomatoes instead of canned and also added some black beans to thicken the dish. Successful baked eggs really need ingredients that will allow for the creation of a well for the raw eggs to rest in.
Queso Fresco, and avocado are creamy garnishes that really complement the acidity of the roasted tomatoes and peppers. A sprinkle of cilantro and chives bring a fresh pop. Lining the skillet with the tortilla gives us a crunchy, baked tortilla that slides right out onto the plate.
I used my 8 inch skillet which is the perfect size for two eggs/two people or even four little people. If you have a larger skillet and bigger appetites to feed, double it up. You can also warm some extra tortillas for deep skillet digging and for those luscious egg yolks!
Join the #sundaysupper weekly chat which starts at 7:00 pm eastern on Sunday and tweet your favorite skillet recipes!
Happy eating, Happy back to school, and Happy skillet cooking!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 extra large flour tortillas – one for the skillet and one for scooping (or more if needed!)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil, plus olive oil for the skillet before you place the tortilla
- 1 garlic clove pressed/minced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow pepper
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups cups chopped grape tomatoes and heirloom tomatoes (whatever fresh tomato you have on hand)
- 1/2 cup rinsed black beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powdersalt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 avocado chopped or sliced
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Queso Fresco cheese crumbled (or a cheese you like)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro and chives
- Optional: hot sauce, peppers (like jalapenos or chopped Hatch chiles!)
Preheat oven to 400F. For a tortilla-lined skillet, use a separate pan to cook everything down, lightly brush olive oil in skillet (sides and bottom), place extra large tortilla into skillet. If you are keeping tortillas separate, then cook right in the skillet. Saute garlic, onions, peppers, and spices until tender. Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes and then add rinsed beans. Allow to cook for a few minutes and liquid to be cooked off.
Create two “wells” and carefully add raw eggs into the wells. Place skillet into the oven and back for 10-15 minutes until eggs are done.
Add garnishes like avocado, Queso Fresco, cilantro and chives, salt and pepper to taste. ENJOY!
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Pink Pasta Skillet by Family Foodie
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Huevos Rancheros by The Hungry Goddess
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Smothered Potatoes and Sausage by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.