Steamed blue claw crabs. Hot corn on the cob with thick-sliced Jersey tomatoes slathered with mayo. Boardwalk fries and pizza. Anything and everything grilled and paired with fresh grown veggies right out of the garden. Our Sunday Supper theme this week is Nostalgic Summer Recipes and while I am dreaming of crabs and Jersey tomatoes, the first “recipe” that came to mind was the Seven Layer Salad.
The Seven Layer Salad of my childhood consisted of the following layers: iceberg lettuce, celery, onions, hard-boiled eggs, frozen peas, mayo with a bit of sugar added, grated Parmesan cheese, and crumbled bacon. Served ice cold and snuggled up nicely with a cheeseburger right off the grill. Good memories, but I had the urge to update it and, frankly, I am not excited by frozen peas.
What DOES excite me though are edamame … and a quick lemon garlic aioli instead of mayo and sugar … and blue cheese. Right? Blue cheese always excites me, so let’s take a stroll down memory lane with an updated perspective! The salad came out with a creamy blend of lemon garlic aioli and blue cheese, crunchy lettuce, and savory thick-sliced bacon. More, please!
Join the #SundaySupper chat on Twitter at 7pm eastern TONIGHT (and every Sunday with a new theme) to bring back recipes of summer past. Big thanks to Coleen from The Redhead Baker for hosting the event tonight. Check out her amazing recipes and all of the walks down memory lane linked below.
What is your favorite nostalgic summer recipe?
Ingredients (using a 4 quart bowl and plenty to feed a crowd):
- 2 hearts of romaine chopped (the crunchy parts work best)
- 4 stalks of celery diced
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs sliced
- 10 oz pack of edamame (already cooked)
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- juice of half lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, minced or pressed
- 4 – 6 ounces of crumbled blue cheese
- 7 slices of thick bacon, crumbled
Cook the bacon. Hard-boil your eggs and set them aside to cool. Whisk the mayo, lemon juice, and pressed garlic. Layer the salad as follows – romaine lettuce on the bottom, then celery, then onion, then the eggs, edamame, lemon garlic aioli mayo mixture, blue cheese. Refrigerate for at least a few hours or overnight. Add crumbled bacon before serving (unless you like cold, crumbled bacon). Enjoy!
- Blueberry Lavender Lemonade by Beauty and the Beets
- Natural Pink Pineapple Lemonade by Food Lust People Love
- Rhubarb Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gazpacho Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled BLT Kebabs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Strawberry Fruit Dip by Books n’ Cooks
- Classic Shrimp Roll Sliders by Crazed Mom
- How to Cook Hot Dogs by Life Tastes Good
- Wiener Schnitzel by Caroline’s Cooking
- Baked Beans by Magnolia Days
- Creamy Ranch Potato Salad by Dash of Evans
- Grilled Zucchini Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Seven-Layer Salad with Bacon and Peas by The Hungry Goddess
- Southern Fried Squash by Peaceful Cooking
- Spätzlesalat (German Spaetzle Pasta Salad) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Summer’s Best Tomato Cucumber Salad by Delaware Girl Eats
- Ambrosia Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Bavarian Almonds by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Cobbler by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Boardwalk Funnel Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Buttermilk Pound Cake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- DIY Drumsticks by A Mind Full Mom
- Double Corn Buttermilk Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Frosted Grapes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free S’mores Magic Bars by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Homemade Banana Pudding by Cooking with Carlee
- Homemade Drumsticks by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Melon Ice Cream by Ninja Baker
- Lemon Coconut Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Lemonade Pie with Sugar Cone Crust by Dizzy, Busy and Hungry
- Poke Cake by Our Good Life
- Maple Sugar Candy by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Rhubarb Cake by Monica’s Table
- Nana’s No-Bake Cheesecake Squares by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Pudding Pops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sherbet Float by Cookin’ Mimi
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Jello Pie by Tramplingrose
- Tita’s Fruit Dessert by Basic N Delicious
- Toasted Coconut Puppy Chow by Helpful Homemade
- Watergate Salad by Flavor Mosaic
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement