As we gather this weekend with our friends and families, let’s remember what Memorial Day is really about – our troops, their families, and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the defense of our country. For all of those who have served, are serving now, and for the families that support them, I stand in complete awe and gratitude for the courage and hearts of our military. We are blessed to have so many brave men and women who give their lives in service.
Just in time for a lovely long weekend for many, the Sunday Supper tastemakers are featuring Summer’s Best Potluck Dishes! There are so many delicious recipes for every kind of summer gathering, you don’t have to waste time figuring out what to bring to any event this summer, just browse the list below for the perfect dish.
Since I live in South Florida and summer starts … wait, who am I kidding? We are in the land of perpetual summer so for any type of potluck dish, I am always thinking about what will hold up in the heat. Cumin scented quinoa with Black Bean and Corn Salsa not only stands up for outdoor dining in the summer, but can be scaled to serve an intimate group or large party. It is simple to make and can be easily be prepared ahead of time.
The quick and simple Black Bean and Corn Salsa can also be served as an appetizer or snack with blue corn chips. Trust me, you don’t need a group to go through a bowl of this salsa! I ate it for dinner. Avocado is an option as well for the quinoa dish or to serve with the salsa and makes a lovely creamy addition.
Looking for more potluck? Join us tonight at 7pm eastern for the #SundaySupper twitter chat that is being hosted by the awesome T.R. Crumbley of Gluten Free Crumbley which offers tons of gluten free inspiration!
What are you making for your Summer Potluck?
Cumin Scented Quinoa Ingredients:
- 1 cup of quinoa cooked – according to package or make perfect quinoa here
- Add 1 tablespoon of cumin to the quinoa as it is boiling
- taste after and add cumin, salt, and pepper according to taste
Salsa Ingredients (serves 4-6 – can be doubled):
- 1 tomato (rough chopped)
- 1 can of black beans (rinsed well)
- 1/2 bag of 1 pound bag of sweet corn (rinse lightly to defrost)
- 1 orange bell pepper (de-seeded and chopped)
- 1/2 medium sweet onion (rough chopped)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic pressed/minced
- 1-2 TB of Grapeseed Oil (or Olive Oil)
- Juice of 1-2 lemons or lime and lemon (I used both)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Toss veggies and black beans together with EVOO and lemon/lime juice. Taste and add Salt and Pepper to taste. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Toss with quinoa and serve.
- Calamari salad with fennel and avocado by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coronation Chicken Deviled Eggs by Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Ranch Tortilla Pinwheels with Roasted Red Peppers by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Roasted Corn Salsa by Casa de Crews
- Walnut Grapes by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese and Mint by April Golightly
Sides and Salads
- Amish Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad by My World Simplified
- Antipasto Pasta Salad by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Arugula Pesto Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken by Hardly A Goddess
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chopped Caprese Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Crunchy Coleslaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cumin Scented Quinoa with Black Bean and Corn Salsa by The Hungry Goddess
- Easy Summer Chickpea Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Elotes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Frog Eye Salad by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Gluten Free Grilled Corn Salad by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Layered Salad with Green Goddess Dressing by Delaware Girl Eats
- No Mayo Potato Salad by Simple and Savory
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad by My Life Cookbook
- Spaghetti Salad with Italian Dressing by Kitchen Gidget
- Summer Grain Salad by Pook’s Pantry
- Summer Tortellini Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Tarragon Marinated Brussels Sprouts by Beauty and the Beets
- Steve’s Fried Chicken by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Ginger Parfaits by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Slab Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Caramel Icebox Cake by Cookin’ Mimi
- Caramel “Doughnut” Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Cherry Crumb Bars by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Eclair Cake by Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota
- Coconut Lime Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cookie Butter Caramel Swirl Brownies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Double Chocolate Blondies by Family Around The Table
- Frozen Champagne Salad by Moore or Less Cooking
- How to make a Pineapple Summer Cake by Asian In America
- Lemon Icebox Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisps with Coconut by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- No-Bake Summer Berry Cream Cheese Tarts by Magnolia Days
- Peach Dumplings by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Peanut Butter Bars by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- S’mores Blondies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Pretzel Pie by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Summertime S’Mores by The Freshman Cook
- Triple Peanut Butter Cookies by Cooking With Carlee
- White Sheet Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whole Wheat Strawberry Galette by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Plus Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake and Best Potluck Dishes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.