My love affair with the WonderVeg Vegetable Spiralizer continues and I am trying to control my urge to spiralize EVERYTHING. It certainly is upping our veggie intake and gives a wonderful excuse to make some vibrant Spring pesto! I ordered mine through Amazon, check out the great price here on Amazon, and I have been absolutely delighted! It is easy to use and very easy to clean.
I picked up a bunch of basil from Bedner’s new farm store in East Delray. It was an enormous bunch, but I admit to being disappointed that in less than 48 hours of purchase, I lost 3/4 of the bunch to black spots. Thankfully, the basil that was saved was perfect and I chose almonds over pine nuts since I had some sliced almonds that needed to be used.
Cheeses for the basil almond pesto can range from Parmesan to Pecorino to Asiago, or you can use an Italian blend that has all of them like I did. Adding the Olive Oil to taste gives the consistency that you prefer; use more Olive Oil for a smoother pesto. Personally, I like the texture of a chunkier pesto so I use less.
For the yellow squash spiralized noodles, I simply sauteed them for a few minutes to soften and warm them and then tossed them with the pesto. There were no leftovers from this meal! The pesto makes plenty to spare and you can adjust the amount of squash needed for noodles according to how many are eating. Of course, you can make this sweet pesto for use with pasta.
Happy spiralizing and cheers to a marvelous pesto season!
Ingredients Basil Almond Pesto:
- 1/2 cup sliced raw almonds, unsalted (some like to toast their almonds, but I love the sweetness that the slivered almonds untoasted bring)
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced or throw in whole to the chopper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup your favorite Italian cheese – I used a blend and the cheese was shaved. You can also grate the cheese before adding to chopper.
- 1/2 – 1 cup olive oil – adjust olive oil for the consistency that you prefer. More olive oil means a smoother pesto.
salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Spiralized Yellow Squash Noodles:
- 1 – 2 Yellow Squash (1 squash is enough for two people)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil to gently saute noodles
Add all of the ingredients for the pesto EXCEPT the olive oil to your chopper/food processor. Pulse the ingredients until they are married and look crumbly. Begin adding olive oil a bit at a time until your pesto reaches your desired consistency. Set the pesto aside.
Spiralize your yellow squash noodles. Heat olive oil in medium pan and add the squash noodles. Saute for a few minutes until soft but not translucent. Gently toss noodled and pesto. Serve with more cheese grated on the top. Enjoy!