The holidays snuck up on me a bit which found me furiously working menus just before Christmas. Like on the eve of Christmas Eve. With a few friends coming for Christmas day, I wanted to keep it simple. S.I.M.P.L.E. And so I did with lasagna, sausage and peppers, and lots of homemade garlic bread.
Snacks are important since people like to graze on their way in and out. Homemade beet hummus took me about three minutes to make and it was a huge hit! Of course, the color is an eye-catching beet red and I garnished with green pepitas. Since it was last minute, I cheated and used canned organic beets, but I think the flavor would be even better with fresh roasted beets. I will update when I do that, like this week. It was that good!
Skipping the tahini really allows the beet and garbanzo beans to shine, but if you prefer, then add it in.
- 1 can of Organic Beets (sliced or diced) – Add more beets for more beet flavor & deeper color
- 2 Garlic Cloves – smashed and minced
- 1 can of garbanzo beans/chickpeas (rinsed)
- juice of 1 lemon (do half and taste and then add the rest)
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil (I drizzle some for garnish as well)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pepitas – pumpkin seeds (salted) to garnish
Add all ingredients to food processor bowl. Pulse until smooth. Eat the whole bowl.