Heirloom Tomatoes seem to be in every market now and it delights me! I love the colors, shapes, and unique bursts of flavor in each one. Keeping it simple these past few weeks has been the focus and this spaghetti with pesto and heirloom tomatoes does just that while savoring the taste of summer. And garlic bread. I do try to keep to a 70-80% gluten free diet but garlic bread is like a siren call to me.
With back to school happening, this is a great, healthful dinner for the family too! You can try my traditional pesto recipe (below) or my Vegan Hemp Seed Pesto recipe to toss the pasta.
What’s cooking for you this week?
- ¼ cup pine nuts (lightly toasted if you have time!)
- 2 cups packed, chopped basil
- ⅓ – ½ cup grated Parmesan
- ⅓ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth.
- 1 pound of your favorite pasta
- Heirloom Tomatoes chopped (I tossed them in fresh!)
- 1 loaf of Italian Bread
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- Parmesan Cheese for bread and garnish on pasta
Set the pasta to boil according to directions on the box. Slice the bread length-wise. Chop the garlic and melt the butter with the garlic in a small saucepan. Using a brush, spread the garlic/butter mixture on the bread. You can use more butter if you like. Set the oven to 425F. After the bread is covered, sprinkle it with Parmesan cheese. Roast in the oven until it is a golden brown – about 10 minutes. Toss the pasta with the pesto and chopped tomatoes. Salt and Pepper and serve with Parmesan cheese! Enjoy!