I think I can actually be classified as a Brussel Sprout Stalker. When I am in a market, I look for them. I hover over the bin and try to choose just the right ones. I think about Brussel Sprouts when I don’t have them and I devise delicious ways to eat them repeatedly when I do have them.
Dear Brussel Sprouts, I think I love you.
Usually, I like to stick them under the broiler with no fuss or even toss and saute them lightly in a pan with butter; but how could I celebrate Spring AND our fruit #HGEATS theme and munch on my Brussels?
EASY! A raw brussel sprout salad with drizzled EVOO and fresh squeezed lemon – add in the dried sour cherries (from Whole Foods and totally addictive!) and pine nuts and the final topping is fresh shaved parmesan. Two bowls later, I was still thinking about the next one.
Great for lunch, dinner, snack and I can admit to eating it for breakfast! There are no exact proportions because this is a toss and be creative recipe – have some fun!
How do YOU like your Brussel Sprouts?
- Brussel Sprouts - Cored with Outer Leaves discarded and Inner Leaves separated
- Lemons - cut in half & ready to squeeze over the bowl
- EVOO - I went very lightly
- Handful of Dried Sour Cherries
- Handful Pine Nuts
- Grated Parmesan Cheese to Taste
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Toss the brussel sprout leaves, cherries, pine nuts together in a bowl.
- Lightly drizzle EVOO and toss gently.
- Squeeze lemon over the bowl and toss gently.
- Grate the parmesan cheese.
- Repeat as often as you like.
Don’t forget to join us for the #HGEATS fruity twitter chat on Wednesday!