Fennel Friday is HERE and we have been playing with fennel fruit this week. Pairing citrus and just about any fruit is a no-brainer – they mesh wonderfully!
Putting raw fennel in a salad is crunchy, aromatic, tasty and good for you – so what are you waiting for? Start creating some salads for lunch, dinner and in between! The other night, I simply sliced some fennel thin and drizzled EVOO and added sea salt and cracked pepper – perfect as a side for any meal. Add some blood oranges or other fruit and you elevate the flavor.
The Fennel and Blood Orange Salad is soooo tasty – you can rearrange the ingredients, do it with or without onion, and sprinkle a little quinoa on it for texture. I added some Pea Greens for color and that yummy green flavor – be creative! Fennel Pollen adds a delicious finishing touch as well!
Tweet into #FennelFriday for great fennel recipes every single day!
- Purple Artisan Lettuce (was in mixed container with other butter lettuces)
- ½ fresh and sweet spring white onion – sliced thinly
- 1 fennel bulb – sliced medium on mandolin or thinly by knife
- 1 blood orange with pith removed and sectioned & chopped
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp of Olive Oil or Grapeseed Oil
- Sea Salt
- Cracked Pepper
- Handful Pea Greens
- To build the salad:
- Arrange the purple lettuce on the plate.
- Add a few slices of onion.
- Add a pile of fennel – about 10 slices.
- Place blood orange pieces on top.
- Squeeze lemon over top to taste (I use about ¼ of a lemon per plate).
- Drizzle ½ tsp oil over salad.
- Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle Pea Greens on top.
Don't miss a bite - connect with us on The Hungry Goddess Facebook Page!