Fall is in the air (and driving my cravings) and I am simply fascinated with all of the gourds that become available at this time of the year. Nothing says FALL like Butternut Squash dishes or stuffed acorn squash and all of the fun ingredients that pair well with them!
The Hungry Goddess kitchen has been buzzing with Fall flavored recipes and plans for the holidays. Looking at the Acorn Squash, I thought about what I really wanted to put inside that gorgeous orange bowl:
Farro was on hand and I will confess that I have not used it very much. It is a bit chewy for me (and I prefer Quinoa) but in this dish, it pairs very well with the fennel sausage and the squash. A handful of spinach wilted into the stuffing mix at the last minute provides some delightful green. I used the Mediterranean Herbs and Garlic Montchevre Goat Cheese for a fabulous flavor boost and Chile Olive Oil to roast the squash to perfection – SO YUM!
Our temperatures here in South Florida may not be showing Fall but my heart is feeling it! Plus, we are throwing this in the ring for Fennel Friday and their fall Focus tomorrow! Make sure to check out all of the great Fennel Fall Recipes on Fennel Friday tomorrow!
How do YOU stuff your Acorn Squash?
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 T butter
- ½ cup Farro
- 2 -4 TB EVOO (We use Chile Olive Oil)
- 1 large shallot, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 cup Fennel Sausage – Cooked
- 2 cups spinach, uncooked
- 2 oz, crumbled Mediterranean Herbs & Garlic Montchevre Goat Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut Acorn Squash in half and scoop out all of the seeds with a spoon.
- Use 1 TB EVOO per squash to rub inside and outside.
- Place ½ TB butter in bottom of each squash.
- Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper.
- Please squash in oven and roast for approximately 30 minutes.
- Make sure squash is tender and easily pierced with a fork or stick back in the oven for a few minutes.
- While Squash is roasting:
- Set sausage to cook in a separate pan.
- Cook Farro per directions on box/bag.
- Add 2 TB EVOO to pan and saute garlic, shallots, and fennel for approx 7-8 minutes.
- Add sausage to pan and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add farro to pan and mix in for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle ¾ of the cheese into the mixture until melted (reserve ¼ of crumbles to sprinkle on top)
- Add spinach and wilt into mixture.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- When Acorn Squash come out of oven – let them rest for 3-4 minutes and then spoon mixture into the squash.
- Sprinkle the rest of the goat cheese on top and serve!