Quinoa is an all-year-round kind of grain for me but somehow, quinoa seems most suited for the fall.
Maybe I am just feeling a bit nostalgic about impending Autumn and I am definitely excited for Fall foods, but this Fall salad with Quinoa and Black Rice with Butternut Squash, Pumpkin Seeds and Cranberries was simply amazing! The dressing is a Maple Syrup & Mustard Vinaigrette that was a genius complement to the quinoa and rice and the ingredients of the salad.
This Fall salad is just-the-thing for Family Dinners, Potluck Parties and Holiday Tables – I may use it for a Thanksgiving side dish! The colors are glorious and really pop on a table and plate. Gluten Free guests will be happy since the recipe does not contain gluten – also a good dish for Vegetarian friends.
I dusted the butternut squash with some cayenne pepper as I was sauteing it & it added a small amount of surprise heat that warmed the dish spectacularly.
Welcome FALL – we can’t wait for you!
Don’t forget to join us for the #HGEATSCHAT Vegetarian Awareness Week to share your recipes and drool over other great veggie recipes!
- ½ cup short-grain black rice (from Whole Foods)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well (I use pre-rinsed regular quinoa from Costco)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided (Chile EVOO is the best!)
- 3 cups butternut squash diced
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (shelled & roasted & salted)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ⅔ cup EVOO
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 TB pure maple syrup
- 1 TB Dijon mustard (we used country dijon)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt (for the dressing)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Prepare rice and quinoa per directions on each package.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced butternut squash, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Mix quinoa and rice & allow to slightly cool.
- Mix dressing ingredients and stir into quinoa and rice mixture.
- Add butternut squash and cranberries and toss.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss in pumpkin seeds.
- Serve and Enjoy!.