I have done scrambled quinoa omelettes with with spinach, kale, squash, mushrooms, chorizo, turkey, peppers, fennel, tomatoes, avocados – if you can think it, then make it! The quinoa is a wonderful addition and gives a great texture to eggs – this is a mega-protein dish!
For my 15 year old that is over 6 feet tall, this is a great breakfast that gives him the get up and go in the morning, plus I can sneak some extra veggies in there too. Yes, I am still doing that – you can never eat too many veggies, especially at 15!
Get creative and Nosh Away – Thank You, Quinoa Goddess for all the good protein!
Tickled to be adding this to Amee’s Savory Dish – Fit & Fabulous Fridays!
- 8 large eggs
- 2 TB butter
- ½ cup milk (to your taste & whatever type you like)
- ½ cup to 1 cup cheese (I like Gruyere or Cheddar)
- 1 onion – chopped
- 4 handfuls spinach – uncooked (or other veggies)
- 6 Campari tomatoes - chopped
- 1 – 2 TB cumin
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Saute the onions in a large pan with one TB butter over medium heat.
- Add 1 TB cumin to the onions as they are cooking.
- Whisk eggs and milk together and add Salt & Pepper to taste.
- I add a second TB of cumin here.
- When onions are soft, pour egg mixture into the pan.
- Push the eggs around as they set up until they are firm enough to be pushed to one side of the pan but not fully cooked.
- Add second TB of butter to the empty side of the pan and add the spinach until wilted.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for approx 3 min.
- Add quinoa and the rest of the ingredients and toss until mixed fully and eggs are cooked.
- Garnish with tomatoes, avocados, chives (seen here) – whatever sounds yummy!
A previous Quinoa Scrambled Omelette: