The Hungry Goddess kitchen opened early this morning but it was sooooo worth it! French Toast is a yummy, happy breakfast for me. French Toast, bacon and hot coffee is nirvana.
Today, we are taking it to the nirvana level and stuffing the french toast with Montchevre Goat Cheese … ohhhhh yes. Madness and deliciousness combined!
I had all of this beautiful Montchevre Goat Cheese to use in a recipe, plus the theme for #HGEATS (TODAY!) is breakfast so this is the combo that I came up with and we had a full table this morning! See what happens when you stuff french toast with goat cheese?? Friends that you never see except in the evenings over wine come out of the woodwork, coffee mugs at the ready!
Two types of the divine Montchevre Goat Cheese – Honey and Cranberry & Cinnamon – were used to stuff the French Toast. Both were excellent but I slightly preferred the Cranberry Cinnamon for this recipe as the flavor was a bit stronger.
My bread was the EXTRAORDINARY Muesli Bread from Whole Foods with all kinds of nuggety goodness – cranberries, raisins, muesli, grains, seeds – and it made an amazing french toast. Of course, you can use any bread that can be sliced thick – challah bread is a great choice as well.
On the side, we had Irish Bacon and … drum roll, please …. SCRAPPLE! What?!!!?
Our friend Chris (@OrganizerChris on twitter) and I share a Pennsylvania Dutch background so she found scrapple. For those of you who are not familiar, scrapple is a “loaf” of pork scraps, cornmeal and flour that is boiled and formed into a loaf shape. In my family, we pan-fried it and ate it with eggs. In Chris’ family, she ate it pan-fried but also with white bread, caro syrup and ketchup. It is definitely a farm-oriented type of sausage but it looks like a mini loaf and then you slice pieces off. This was a staple in my Grandmother’s kitchen when I was growing up.
We also laid out all kinds of marvelous toppings like fig jam, maple syrup, honey, agave, strawberry jam and powdered sugar. I think I need a nap after that huge brekky!
Enjoy – the pic was a quickie since we had several guests!
What did you have for breakfast?? Join us for #HGEATS at 12n and share your breakfast adventures!
- 6 eggs
- 2 cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 loaf of muesli bread from Whole Foods
- Cranberry & Cinnamon Montchevre Goat Cheese
- Honey Cranberry & Cinnamon Montchevre Goat Cheese
- 2-3 TB butter
- Mix eggs and milk in large bowl that is wide enough to dredge the bread.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large saute pan and add butter (about 1 TB).
- Dredge the bread in the egg mixture and place in the pan.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 - 3 minutes. (Med - high heat for browning)
- Remove from pan and let cool.
- Put goat cheese on one slice of the bread and then top with second piece of bread.
- Transfer French toast to oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- Cut each French toast in half and serve with syrup, jam, powdered sugar, whatever you like!