Thank goodness that Fennel Friday comes every single week because this is a tasty treat that I found as I was looking for Fennel Friday inspiration!
A good friend is visiting from out of town and we decided to have an impromptu barbecue and dinner for her. Gorgeous sirloin burgers were our primary protein but we needed a few salads to feed a hungry group of 8 with minimal prep time.
Enter the Celery, Apple & Fennel Slaw from Bon Appetit … so easy, crunchy, tart and sweet plus something different – PERFECT!
The only modifications that I recommend are purely a preference – we liked the apple so much that we would add a second apple. I used Chile Extra Virgin Olive Oil which is my Essential Pantry EVOO – smooth and rich to complement and enhance the flavor of the ingredients. Instead of the fennel fronds, I sprinkled a bit of fennel pollen (Pollen Ranch of course!) to elevate the overall flavor. Salt makes the flavors pop at the end so make sure to salt to taste.
You could eat this for lunch, with pork or chicken or fish – it is a very flexible slaw and quick!
Thanks Bon Appetit!
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (HG – I used Chile Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 2½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced diagonally, plus ¼ cup loosely packed celery leaves
- 2 small fennel bulbs (or one large), thinly sliced crosswise, plus 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds (HG – I used a pinch of fennel pollen instead)
- 1 firm, crisp apple (such as Pink Lady, Gala, or Granny Smith), julienned(HG – I would use two next time & we liked the Granny Smith!)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add celery and celery leaves, thinly sliced fennel and chopped fennel fronds, and apple; toss to coat.
- Add a pinch of fennel pollen if you have it.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.