Our #HGEATS twitter chat does not only produce awesome recipes, it creates an atmosphere to connect with fabulous foodies from all over the world. Chef Jason Rivas is one of those Foodies and the Chef de Cuisine at South Coast Winery!
At our recent Spicy #HGEATS chat, Chef Rivas mentioned a recipe that created more ReTweets and comments than any other tweet in the chat:
Squash blossoms, deviled crab cream cheese and THEN dipped in tempura? I almost licked the screen. To prevent further drooling, Chef Rivas kindly shared his recipe so now we can all run out and buy squash blossoms and stuff our faces.
Thank you, Chef Rivas – we love you!
- Crab 6oz
- Cream cheese 2oz
- Chives ¼ bunch
- Cayenne pinch
- Paprika pinch
- Squash Blossom 8 each
- Pancake 1cup
- Sprite ¼ cup
- Let cream cheese come up to room temp
- Chop chives very small
- Fold together-in a mixing bowl-cheese, chives, crab and spices. Taste a small bit of crab, you may desire a touch more spice.
- Equally divide crab mix, and stuff blossoms
- Mix pancake and sprite till smooth. The batter should be thick but still pourable. If need be add more sprite to thin. Batter should as thick as normal pancake batter. A thinner batter will provide a less cakey “tempura”. Prepare the tempura to your preference.
- Carefully, dredge blossoms in flour then in completely coat in “tempura” then fry(carefully). Cook till blossom is crisp and golden. About 3 mins.
- Remove from oil and season with a touch of sea salt
Want to see more from Chef Rivas?? Leave a comment!!!