Cumin is one of my favorite spices – it is mandatory for so many things like scrambled eggs and curry and as the infused flavor for this gorgeous Quinoa and Black Rice Salad. The recipe came from Bon Appetit and I have made it multiple times since then!
Beach parties, family gatherings or as the salad to graze on from the fridge during the week – this is my favorite!
The combination of the quinoa and black rice works wonderfully with the black rice providing a heartier texture to complement the quinoa (plus the presentation is amazing!). Lemon juice, salt and cumin accentuate the quinoa and rice – adding the cilantro adds an aromatic freshness that makes this a great cold salad. I made a few adaptations to the original recipe – I like a lot of cumin so I did increase the amount of cumin and I found that orange peppers and campari tomatoes were additions to take this salad to another level of deliciousness. You can purchase the black rice at Whole Foods and we have found the best deal for Quinoa (especially if you eat it a lot) is Costco.
THIS should be your summer salad go-to – ENJOY!
Quinoa and Black Rice Salad with Cumin
- 1/2 cup short-grain black rice (from Whole Foods)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well (I use pre-rinsed regular quinoa)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (I used two shallots)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (I would double this next time)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I doubled this)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons 1″ pieces chives (I used green onions)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted (I chopped this)
- 1 orange pepper – rinsed and chopped
- 6 campari tomatoes – rinsed and chopped
- Prepare rice and quinoa per directions on each package.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add to quinoa.
- Add rice; mix well.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons oil, fresh lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, and chives.
- Toss in avocado, orange pepper and chopped tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.